Join a team of world-class engineers working on the next generation of networking services using Istio, Envoy and a few of the open projects to define the next generation of cloud native network service. Seeking backend software engineers experienced in building distributed systems using Golang and gRPC.
We are building a secure, robust, and highly available service mesh platform for mission-critical enterprise applications spanning both legacy and modern infrastructure. The Management Plane team is responsible for building the main experience of the platform, including the public-facing APIs users consume to configure, observe, and interact with the mesh, as well as the main workflows and processes that provide multi-tenancy and security to our hybrid and multi-cloud service mesh.
Bridging the gap between complex large infrastructures and flexible but manageable and meaningful APIs is the main challenge you will be solving. If you care about user experience, like public API design, writing quality code, and making complex things look simple for end-users, you’ll find this role to be a fit for your wants.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and implement public APIs that will be used to configure all the aspects of a service mesh: networking, security, and observability.
- Implement new product features that will have a direct impact on customers.
- Help research on different novel technologies like NGAC (Next Generation Access Control)
Skills You Have:
- Fundamentals-based problem-solving skills; Drive decision by function, first principles based mindset. We are not “title” driven and we value results over process
- Demonstrate bias-to-action and avoid analysis-paralysis; Drive action to the finish line with high quality and on time
- You are ego-less when searching for the best ideas; You contribute effectively outside of your specialty; You think about solving problems from the standpoint of the best outcome for the team.
- Intellectually curious with a penchant for seeing opportunities in ambiguity
- Understands the difference between attention to detail vs. detailed – oriented
- Values autonomy and results over process
- Experience building and testing software using Go.
- Experience writing public-facing gRPC APIs.
- Experience using SQL relational databases and Key/Value datastores.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, service mesh technologies such as Istio and Envoy
- Good understanding of networking protocols, concepts, consistency properties of distributed systems, techniques to identify and reconcile configuration drifts
- “You build it, you run it” mindset. You will own the systems you design and will participate in the engineering on-call rotations.
- Experience contributing to open source projects is a plus.
- Experience with authentication technologies such as OIDC, and authorization systems such as RBAC, ABAC is a plus.
Location: Worldwide – Remote, with access to offices in SF, Boston, Tokyo, Japan and Bandung/Tangerang, Indonesia