Istio is one of the most popular and fast-growing open source projects in the cloud native world; while this growth speaks volumes about the value users get from Istio, ease of getting started with and it’s rapid release cadence can be a challenge for many users. Combine that with managing several different versions of Istio clusters at the same time, manually configuring CA certificates for cloud platforms etc – it could get really daunting pretty quickly.
We launched a new open-source project called GetIstio today, offering users the easiest way to install and upgrade Istio. GetIstio provides a vetted, upstream distribution of Istio — a hardened image of Istio with continued support that is simpler to install, manage, and upgrade. It will have integrations with cloud native and popular on-prem certificate managers (e.g., AWS ACM, Venafi, etc). This launch includes:
- GetIstio CLI, the easiest way to install, operate, and upgrade Istio. GetIstio provides a safe, vetted, upstream Istio distro, tested against AKS, EKS, and GKE.
- A free, online course on Istio Fundamentals, that is available now at Tetrate Academy.
- A new community to bring together Istio and Envoy users and technology partners.
GetIstio is an integration and lifecycle management CLI tool that ensures the use of supported and vetted versions of Istio. Enterprises require the ability to control Istio versioning, support multiple versions of Istio, easily move between the versions, integrate with cloud providers’ certification systems, and centralize config management and validation. The GetIsio CLI tool supports these enterprise-level requirements as it:
- enforces fetching certified versions of Istio and enables only compatible versions of Istio installation
- allows seamlessly switching between multiple istioctl versions
- Includes a FIPS-compliant flavor
- delivers Istio configuration validations platform based by integrating validation libraries from multiple sources
- uses a number of cloud provider certificate management systems to create Istio CA certs that are used for signing Service-Mesh managed workloads, and
- provides multiple additional integration points with cloud providers
The command below obtains a shell script that downloads and installs the GetIstio binary that corresponds to the OS distribution detected by the script (currently macOS and Linux are supported). Additionally, the most recent supported version of Istio is downloaded. Also, the script adds the GetIstio location to the PATH variable (re-login is required to get PATH populated)
curl -sL https://tetrate.bintray.com/getistio/download.sh | bash
The following video shows the basic use of the GetIstio command line tool.
Visit the GetIstio website to learn more about how to use the command-line tool.
As part of GetIstio we are also launching a new community for developers, end users and technology partners of Istio, Envoy, and service mesh. Community is open to all. The GetIstio.io website also includes practical tutorials for using Istio.
If you want to take your learning to the next level, we have also prepared a free Learn Istio Fundamentals course as part of Tetrate Academy. It is a self-paced course that has 8 modules with theoretical lessons where we explain the theory and concepts, practical lessons which consist of labs, and quizzes so you can check your knowledge. Join our weekly meetings, file issues, or ask questions in Slack. No contribution is too small and your opinions and contributions matter!
Tetrate provides commercial support for GetIstio for direct access to Istio experts, priority bug fixes and 24/7 support. More details here.